Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Week 35: Holy (Shit) Week

I apologize for the later-than-usual-post, daddy creature crossed the sea and stayed for a couple of days to check out baby's balls (via his latest ultrasound photo).

The sore throat WAS gone for a couple of days, but now I have this cold. I suspect it's maternal lola's room with all its hidden nooks and crannies that forgo a regular dusting. I also suspect the insomnia is due to inactivity for most of the day. While the partner was here, we spent the nights at the family bed and breakfast below maternal lola's hill and had to climb every mealtime to get to the nomz. Results? I've been sleeping like a person without an internal kicking baby for most of the night. I still wake up to pee tho, but it's progress. There is also much pelvic pressure and I've started waddling like a duck.

Doctor advised I do 30 minutes of waddling walking everyday to make sure baby doesn't delay. She also said I'm good as due within 2 weeks, so I should have the pool ready soon

HOLY SHIT.

I now realize the time I spent being bored might very well be the calm before the storm. THE CATS NEED SPAYING! THE FURNITURE NEEDS VACUUMING! THE HOUSE NEEDS DUSTING AND BABYPROOFING!

And I'm not even in Cebu to do any of these things. Boo. This panic attack is giving me a migraine.

The partner tells me both of our kittens are in heat, and one of them pissed on the water dispenser.

I miss my furry babies T_T

Meanwhile, it's holy week. Last Sunday, maternal lola made a bunch of palm-leaf crucifixes and explained that after these were blessed at her church, they'd become Anti-Wakwak wards. My gehd. She also insists they weren't flying foxes btw.

She told me that children in these parts used to be healed via burning a piece of tawas (alum) on a piece of blessed palm leaf. The burnt tawas would take the shape of whatever it was that spooked the kid, and then it would be used on the kid, how I have no idea, and the symptoms of disease would disappear. Lola says it cures all sorts of things - from fright to falling off mango trees.

Maternal lola: Parang magic nga eh. (It was just like magic.)
Me: So ano itsura ng 'nahulog' sa tawas? (What shape does the alum take from 'falling'?)
Maternal lola: Basta.

So voodoo. In this day and age, I wonder what tawas would shape into.

A facebook bully's profile pic.

The darkness.

A Michael Jackson zombie.

Barney, the purple dinosaur.

If someone can find a way to translate tawas into cookies, fear will become the ultimate cookie cutter.

this makes so much more sense now.
It's Holy week for 80% of the Philippines, a normal week for the rest of the populace, and a week til Game of Thrones Season 3. For us in Bibibuy land, we have 2-5 weeks to go!

P.S. Maternal Lola is pissed to the high heavens over my blog post title. For any Catholics who might have misconstrued the title as a mockery of their religion, I swear it's not. If I were mocking religion, I'd be very very obvious about it. Also, read this.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Ara! Where do you usually have your cats spayed/neutered? I was thinking about going to the Cebu City Pound to have our cats' balls cut but the P150 fee makes me nervous.

    - Darliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dar! We've never actually had any of our cats fixed. We've heard that they do it free at the city pound, as long as you pay the registration fee for your animal. Dunno how much the fee is too, we don't know where the place is pud.

      Delete
    2. I heard bad stories about the pound (cats dying)), but I think I'll give it a shot nalang. I hope they're just stories. Private clinics charge 5-6k for neutering cats man gud, and with two boys it's going to be very expensive.

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
    3. that's scary! I heard one story - they gave the cat too much anaesthesia.m :( But yeah, 2 boys for 10k is a lot.

      Delete