Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Of Gods and Amigurumi Monsters

I AM EARTH GODDESS!

(Repeat x number of times until completely deluded)

I'm on break from crochetry because my fingers are numb. I feel like my finger muscles got a little bit brawnier from my efforts, but doing it at night isn't doing much for my eyesight.

The insomnia is getting worse. Apart from baby's kicking, it's the water breaks and the bathroom runs that keep me up til the wee (whoops) hours of the morning. I'm just sooo thirsty at night.

The good news is that I've graduated from doilies and have moved on to beanies!

*Confetti*

I followed this tutorial. Coincidentally, the maternal lola got me material in around the same color.

For those of you too lazy to click the tutorial, this is the hat it's supposed to make:




This is my hat:

Anyone want a BJD-sized head-sock?

I learned too late about different sized yarns and hooks, and sadly, the kinds most online patterns require aren't widely available in this side of the country. T_T

Maternal lola was keeping me in the doily dark. T_T

So while I'm waiting on daddy-creature to get me the appropriate yarn for baby's stuff, I ended up looking for projects that I could use all this thread for, and I found Amigurumi.

Although most of the amigurumi patterns still ask for thicker yarns than the ones I have (worsted weighted as opposed to my flimsy size 8 crochet thread), you don't have to wear amigurumi, so it's fine to make miniature versions of the proposed projects.

Imo, the tinier versions are ADORABLE AS F*CK. Like Dobermans(men?) and mini pinschers; Pajeros and baby pajeros; Humans and babies.

One flower-filled night pre-baby, I thought maybe the nature of the divine is "Cute". Cuteness is universal. Have you ever seen a baby anything and not die from cuteness? Even animals cave in to cute:


I'd like to think that our Creation Gods are not the mighty Olympians who saw us as mites, but the tiny cells working away to grow us, the same way we build cities and become blind to the overall impact of our creations. As the father unit used to sing "The big bang never ended". As Ninong Ben put it, "In a way, that's what science is on to already- our cells all contain "programming". It would take a very tiny entity to program it! All the Whos down in Whoville?"

He's not even out yet, and everything I'm doing is already for this small would-be tyrant growing inside me. <3

As a tribute to the small Gods, I got to work on this:
clicking on this photo will lead you to a video tutorial. Not bombs. I swear.

I've finished the head and body part. Now I wait for maternal lola to come bring me an embroidery needle so I can keep the tiny bear's cotton brains from spilling out.

I'm having so much fun I don't even mind that my fingers are sore now.

again, I AM EARTH GODDESS!

If successful, I'll try making a tiny dead but dreaming god.


Speaking of monsters, maternal lola says a real live Wakwak was shot killed and photographed in a nearby town. She saw the photos and says the creature has a dog snout; bat wings; and a human torso. Sounds to me like a Giant Flying Fox.

Facing extinction according to Wiki by poaching and forest destruction and monster hunters.
Maternal lola wouldn't let me see the photos because she claims I don't need the scare. I'm like "But I'm not in any danger, why should I be scared?"

The Wakwak is so called because of the sound the wings make. It's also called a Kikik or a Tiktik because this is supposedly the noise it makes.

I asked our helper about the Wakwak, and she said these weren't animals, but people with families, and that the families often had to move out of shame. She added that they've been hearing the Kikik near my balcony as soon as the sun goes down and have been tossing salt all over the property to ward the monsters off.

NO WONDER THE FOOD'S BEEN SO BLAND LATELY!!!

The lore is interesting though, and contrasting what Ate Marjorie said about the monsters and the general attitude around them with the string of rural monster-related movies made in Manila, I'd say nobody's ever tapped on the surrealism of the actual legends. On that note, nobody's ever tapped on the surrealism of the actual countryside. I haven't seen Sherad's Jungle Love or Pam Miras' Pacalina yet, so I could be wrong.

And then there's Uncle Boonmee, which although set in another country and spoken in a different tongue, feels just like home.

I see the potential for an environmentally friendly kiddie movie here: about a boy, his flying fox friend, and the angry mob that seeks to slay the "devil creature". Benta? Benta!

Potential film merchandise would be amigurumi flying foxes.

I AMcapitalistEARTH GODDESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment