Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Week 38: Summer and Sugar

2 weeks left in the waiting game.

If I haven't been posting much, it's because the father creature has been keeping me sufficiently entertained. We've developed this game where we knock on the belly and baby knocks back. When he starts communicating in morse code, I'll let you know.

Braxton hicks contractions happen frequently, and there's been a significant increase in pelvic pain, specially in bed. The uterus feels like it's reached under my bust. It certainly hurts there now. Every morning the past week, I wake up in slight irritable pain wondering if it's going to be the day I lose my plug and meet my tenant.

Another new thing is a craving for the almighty halo halo.

It's a hot summer to say the least. If I didn't have the electric fan's constant attention, I'd melt in a pool of whale blubber faster than you can say "Chill".

I've never had much of a sweet tooth, so the halo halo craving is unusual. My brain is teasing me with thoughts of ube halaya, minatamis na saging, overripe langka and munggo together in a creamy cup of ice. I also recall being told that the halo halo in Talisay, Cebu is the best because they use frozen coco water for the ice shavings.


mmmmm


:P~~~

http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/a-quick-pick-me-up

But I don't just want to eat it, I want to make it too. I've looked up recipes and there is no way this dessert is still healthy. All the ingredients are preserved one way or another. It doesn't matter that it's made up of a variety of fruits and beans, it's still dripping with sugar. DRIPPING.

But I want it. I want it so bad.

I think of escape routes: other foods that might sate the cravings.

And I come up with Turon ala Mode. I want a turon with a thin outer layer, the insides dripping with sweetened nangka and overripe saba with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. The effect is like apple pie ala mode. Still sinfully sugary, but less preserved ingredients.

It's this baby's doing. I can already see it. He'll come out asking for ice cream and daddy will be forced to share his half gallon.

So off to the poblacion we went to get a halo halo fix.

I came, I saw, I ate the halo halo.

And I am grossly unsatisfied.

Maybe my cravings' standards are too high. Also, the halo halo did little for the heat. Maybe a little winter from GOT s03e03 might help. Apparently, ninong Ben sent us a little something from the States. If we're lucky, it might be a little snow to put in our halo halo.

In other news, the pool arrived a day after my birthday. Yes, I birthdayed recently. I just felt that celebrating can wait til baby's out. The pool is only 20" high, too shallow to comfortably birth in. It's possible to, it just won't be as awesome as if the pool was at least 30" high. Daddy is still waiting for a paycheck to cash in before we can get a suitable replacement. Oh boy.

Meanwhile, Ninang Connet alerted us to a local TV show whose main protagonist shares the name of our would-be-son. Grounds for reconsideration or should we go through with the name? We're told the show's production values are at least a level higher than most, but do we really want to risk him being teased on the school playground for some attribute this tv show character has that we aren't even aware of?

That's it. We're definitely homeschooling.

I'm not kidding about homeschooling though, but that's a topic for another blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment