Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My mommy resolutions for 2014

Tita Hani Lei's doing this month-long challenge of not saying the word "busy" so I can't say the b-word. Ive been... Pre-occupied (nyahaha, nakalusot).

We didn't do much for new year. The boy nursed through midnight fireworks. I heard gun shots somewhere in the distance and we thought it would be better to stay alive for another year so we burrowed indoors. How did you guys do? Anyone lose a finger? 


2013 was dark and dismal for a lot of us, save for the human being that this blog has been about for the last 10 months.

I haven't had a lot of energy since being a mom and I can't say I've been in very good shape. So the overarching resolution is to be more productive, and to create an environment, mindset, and physique that would be more conducive to carrying Malaya productivity.

Simply put, I want to be a better mommy. Here's how I plan to improve:


1. Work the eff out.

Carrying a growing boy is no joke. My mommy muscles need training. Daddy got me running shoes for Christmas, which could be a subtle way of saying You're-getting-fat. I know getting into shape is no walk in the park, so I'm easing into it. 30 minutes each day isn't too much work, and the internet has loads of information on getting fit. My mindset is that if I managed to push a human being out of my tummy, I can get in good shape. Also, a stronger core now might make for easier pushing next time. All I need is the proper motivation.

this'll do pretty well.

2. Build a budget. 

It would be nice to have something left over at the end of the month. We would be able to make more projects. Record an album. Finish that short that's been in post production for ages. Buy more graphic novels. Buy solar panels. Buy an abandoned silo to turn into a post-apocalyptic bunker. Go to the moon. The list goes on.

Since we're freelancers, I figured we'd list the total amount of receivables, subtract them by the list of fixed payables (rent, groceries, etc) and then we'd divide what's leftover by two. Half would go to a list of wants, listed by priority; and half would go to savings.

It's a model we're testing out for now. If it doesn't work out, then it's back to the drawing board. It might also help with budgeting to do thrifty stuff like planning meals out and stuff and killing the urge to run to the nearest vegetarian restaurant, which leads me to my next resolution:

3. Be a better cook.

There wouldn't be any running to the nearest vegetarian restaurant required if we just made yummier meals. It helps loads that Mamita got us an oven (YAY). I've already begun ticking off my food goals on Pinterest. We've been discussing whether we're going to raise the boy on a strictly vegetarian diet or not. That's how the Father creature wants it to be, but my stance is to let the boy decide on absolutely avoiding meat when he's older. We eat a mostly plant-based diet at home anyway.

I am determined to make the boy miss my cooking. It's a sure-fire way to make him come running when he's out in the world and no longer dependent on nappies. 
Good luck with getting the best of resolutions number 1 and 3.

Meanwhile, it'll be a year since the boy was popped out in 4 months. We want to go to the beach for it, and perhaps grill mock-shark or something. The internet has a lot of ideas for a pirate themed shindig. Arrr. Malaya got invited to Boinky's adorable 2-year old party late last year. It had paper fruit lanterns, hand-crafted puppets and live ukelele music. It was definitely inspirational for DIYing the boy's birthday party. Which leads me to my next resolution...


4. Be crafty. 


Not the Dasterdly Dick sort of crafty. The I-See-A-Red-Door-And-I-Want-It-Painted-Black sort. Altho I might actually mean the floors. Yes. I want a red door.


Editing the space we're renting is something we've meant to do ever since we moved here 2 years ago. It's such a pretty old house, it's a shame we aren't maximizing its potential. There's some psychological benefit to directly affecting the space you live in too. Why do you think people buy into feng shui? There's so much that needs to be done and can be done with this place too. The cats have made reupholstering the old couch essential; there's an old rattan couch that came with the house that needs cushioning; the dining table needs an update; and there's lots of space for shelving and better organizing.


So what if we're just renting, this is practice for when we have our own space. 


2014 is going to be all about projects. I need the energy to accomplish these projects too. It's ambitious, but you know what they say about shooting for the moon. 
You don't? Too bad.


Add caption
photo by tita Hani Lei.

No comments:

Post a Comment